Around the period when Leonardo Da Vinci was painting the picture of the Mona Lisa, he was also writing a 35000 words Codex on the Flight Birds. This was about the exploration of means through which man might take to the air. Leonardo’s illustrations included many diagrams like a rudimentary plan for a flying machine and many sketches of birds in flight.
However, the secretive smile of the Mona Lisa represents a universe of intimacy captured on a small panel of wood. On the other hand, the landscape behind the Mona Lisa shows the world as you see from the top of a tall hill.
That’s the pleasure we can get from drones. They can take your eyes to the places where your body cannot go. It is like a GoPro camera attached to the back of a bird. Nowadays, drones dominate the world of cinematography, and they are revolutionizing the way people make films. Keep reading this article to explore more about drone filming.
What do you mean by drone filming?
It is all about capturing still images or videos using a remotely operated or unarmed aerial vehicle. Most commonly, it is known as a drone. Or we can also name it an unmanned aircraft system.
The best thing about filming this way is that it will enable the first-person view impossible to achieve. Drönarfoto is the type of aerial picture that is not possible for a human to capture. It can be captured in a harsh environment without any minimal disruption.
Benefits of using drones in filming
Drone filming is a dynamic way to achieve aerial filming with various benefits for filmmakers.
- High-quality footage:- It can capture spectacular high-quality videos and images. However, drones can shoot complete HD video footage and record at 4K resolution due to its advancement in technology. With innovation in 3-axis stabilization, drones can capture sturdy video while performing action shots.
- Setup and shoot:- Drones can quickly get set up and ready to shoot anything. Due to helicopters, capturing aerial shots was time-consuming. But now, with drones, it has become a feasible method for capturing high aerial and action shots.
- Reduced cost for aerial footage:- Capturing aerial shots is a costly process. But using drones can shrink the overall cost of aerial footage. That means almost everyone can afford to produce professional and stunning videos.
- Minimal disruption:- Also, drones can shoot inconspicuous video footage with minimal disruption. Due to modern technology, drones work noiselessly. That means you can use it to capture video footage in a peaceful environment.
- Shooting in small or confined space:- With the help of a drone, you can capture videos in small or confined spaces where helicopters can’t reach.
Things you should consider before using drones for filming
Here are some things you have to consider before using drones for your next shooting.
- Understand rules and regulations:- You have to understand the laws and regulations that govern the use of drones for filming. In the United States, you have to register your drone with the FAA before using it. The FAA guidelines say that your drone must weigh less than 55 pounds, and the drone pilot needs flight plans, licenses, and insurance.
- Configure your drone and camera:- You have to configure your drone and camera before taking off. You have to adjust your drone’s inertial measurement, camera ISO, Camera’s gimbal and camera aspect ratio.
- Carry out a pre-flight checklist:- You have to carry out a pre-flight checklist to reduce the risk of failure and succeed in your shooting process. Some items you need to have check on are battery, SD card, drone settings, camera settings and system firmware updates.
- Mindful of your battery levels: Most drones do not fly for more than 15 minutes. Losing batteries while filming can be dangerous. But some advanced drones land safely after the battery runs out.
- Plan your flight shoots:- You have to plan your drone filming session before taking off.
As you can see in this article, there are many benefits of drone filming. That means using drones in cinematography is not a bad idea, and they are totally revolutionizing the way people make films. Therefore, you must also adopt drones to enhance your video presentation.