Have you ever encountered issues with Microsoft Excel sheets while you were working on one, and all out of nowhere an error message pops on the screen showing Microsoft Excel is not responding? Or Excel 2016 not responding windows 10.
There lie many errors related to Microsoft Excel application, and whether you’d be stuck in between one or not stands as an issue. It is not the fault of Excel always but of some conditions, for instance, the number of applications running at an equivalent time, the hardware specifications of your system –can it handle an excessive amount of load, are required resources liberal to be allocated to a different program, etc.
In this article, I’ll guide you with workarounds that can help you to sort out the problem of the excel 2016 not responding windows 10.
Start MS Excel in Safe Mode
By running MS Excel in safe mode, you’ll inspect startup problems if any.
When Microsoft Excel is run in safe mode, it bypasses the following functionalities such as alternative startup location, changed toolbars, the xlstart folder, and Add-ins.
You can launch Excel in Safe Mode using two workarounds:
- Press & Hold CTRL while you begin Microsoft Excel.
- You can start the program using the command prompt with the /safe switch; follow the below steps:
- Press the button and type cmd to launch the command prompt.
- CMD executable would be, as below:
Press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to start out cmd with as an administrator.
- Now, before we launch Excel in safe mode, we need to know the excel.exe file location.
To find it, press and enter excel after that right-click on the highlighted application and choose Open file location.
- Explorer would open, click on the address bar, and replica the trail.
- Now, in the command prompt, we need to change the directory.
Type cd \ and press Enter.
- Type cd and right-click inside the command prompt to paste the path we copied in step 4, and press Enter. The directory would change.
- Enter start excel.exe /safe – it can open Excel in safe mode.
- Once Excel is open, you can see the status in the status bar, as below.
Install Latest Updates available
For replacing out-of-date files and fixing vulnerabilities, it’s recommended to put in the newest updates available. Doing this would lower the chances of occurrence of an issue. To install the standalone Office application update, undergo the subsequent steps:
- Press Start, type Excel, and click Enter.
- Select the Blank Document – Excel sheet.
- Click on File tab > Account and choose Update Options.
- Click Update Now
Inspect issues with Add-ins
By installing Add-ins, you’ll add another functionality or an exclusive feature to the program, but it’s not an equivalent case always. Add-ins may lead to errors and problems of the program not responding to messages and other possible issues.
To find out if the difficulty has occurred due to an Add-in, disable all of them directly or one by one and begin Excel again, and if the difficulty comes no more, then uninstall it, execute below steps:
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Click on File tab > Options and choose Add-ins.
- At the bottom of the window, select COM Add-ins > click GO.
- Here, deselect all the active Add-ins and click Ok.
- Restart and check if the issue persists.
Repair Excel or Office Suite from Control Panel
In case if the problem is taking place because of an unknown reason and the cause behind remains a mystery, trying to repair the program might solve the problem. The below steps would help to do so.
- Right-click on the Start button and navigate to Control Panel.
- Select Uninstall a program – under Programs section.
- Look for your installation of Excel.
- If you’ve installed the standalone version of Excel, then look by its name; just in case of Microsoft Office Suite, do as below:
a). Right-click on the application or the Office Suite and click Change.
b). Select Quick Repair > click Repair.
What to do when nothing worked for you?
With the above methods, you will resolve the matter of excel 2016 not responding windows 10 and resume your work from where you left.
Sometimes, due to extreme corruption or damage, it becomes impossible to repair an Excel file. Well, in such a scenario, methods like above don’t come handy and you need a solid fix.
Sysinfo for Excel Repair is an advanced tool you can use to face the situation mentioned above. The tool can fix any issue related to Microsoft Excel, regardless of which installation you’re using – you’ll directly mount, browse the file, open it and proceed to repair Excel files and recover lost data.
With the above manual methods, you can fix the issue without wasting a minute and resume work, but if the condition is worse and usual methods can’t prove to be any help, you can use Sysinfo for Excel Repair.